I’ve been singing my whole life, pretty much. I sing ALL THE TIME at home. My family doesn’t seem to mind.
I grew up in a very musical family, with a mom who sang and a dad who sang and played guitar. I took piano lessons, and played flute in school, but singing is my forte. The list of music I love to sing is too long; I could go for days. My background includes classical, jazz, country, folk, choral, musical theatre, and rock.
I have no formal training, but had good music teachers at school.
Here are some notes (no pun intended):
- first performance at age 6
— choir at all levels of school.
— Vocal Jazz in high school.
— member of District Honour choir in grade 10
— member of BCMEA Provincial Honour Choir in grades 11 and 12
— Grade 12 Vocal Jazz group tied for 1st place in National Canadian Stage Band [and vocal jazz, obviously] Festival
— member of Vancouver Bach Choir for four years until time constraints became problematic
— invited to sing jazz again, as vocalist for FAT Jazz, in…about…1996. Still doing that!
— formed the Itty Bitty Big Band with Gord Hembruff in 2016.
- Directing and coaching musical theatre at the high school and middle school levels (Seussical Jr., Les Mis, Urinetown, Hairspray Jr., In the Heights, Anything Goes, Rock of Ages).
- Played Mrs. Pearce in My Fair Lady for Royal City Musical Theatre, April ’15.
- created Earth to Doris for a Housing Co-op BBQ. The band kept going for 12 years.
- Founding member of Double Overtime (a soul/R&B band). I stayed with them for 4 years, at which point I decided that singing R&B didn’t bring me enough joy. The band is still going on, though, which is great.
- Performance/vocal workshops at the high school and middle school levels.
- Favourite recordings:
I’m Yours (Composed by Jason Mraz; Performed by Earth to Doris-Lead Vocal: Krista)